If you like magical vistas and challenging terrain, this trip is for you! Iceland is the Land of Fire and Ice, where volcanoes and glaciers share an island. This trip starts out in the capital city of Reykjavik, where we will stay in tents at a local campground. You can spend a few hours exploring the city, and in the evening we will prepfor our epic adventure ahead. A day of bus travel will take us to the Landmannalaugar trailhead, where hot springs and day hikes await. The next 6 days will be spent backpacking and camping along the trail, hiking from Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork. After backpacking the trail, we will travel back to Reykjavik for one last night together in a hostel in the heart of the city.
This trip is centered around the backpacking experience, which means that for roughly 6 days you'll be hiking up to 12 miles a day wearing a backpack that weighs a minimum of 35 pounds. The weather in Iceland can change rapidly and frequently, often with intense winds. Your leaders will provide a packing list, so make sure you plan to acquire some additional gear for this trip. Remember that even though it is summer, it can still be quite cold and rainy in Iceland. This trip is great for any skill level, you'll just want to make sure you're well prepared.
There will be a mandatory pre-trip meeting on Monday, June 17th from 6pm-7pm in the CORE building (1441 Bledsoe Drive).
The registration deadline is June 3rd at 9am.
* Group gear (tents, stoves, maps, etc.)
* All meals while on trail
* Two experienced TRiP Leaders certified in Wilderness Medicine
* All lodging
* In-country transportation
* THE TRiP OF A LIFETIME!!!
* The price of this trip DOES NOT include airfare.
- Do not buy your airfare until you are given the clearence to do so by your TRiP Leader.
- In the event that the trip does not fill the spots (8), we will have to cancel the trip. CORE will NOT reimburse you for any airfare that has been purchased before receiving notification from your TRiP Leader.
- The goal is to fill the trip by the beginning of June, so that you will have plenty of time to arrange your travel.
* Personal gear is not included, but it is available for rent at low prices at CORE (backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, rain gear, etc.).
* Meals are not covered while we are in Reykjavik. We may cook a couple meals together at the campsites, however you should plan to purchase your own groceries or go out to eat.
* You need a valid passport.
* You will need to purchase student travel insurance through the UF International Center.
* If CORE cancels the trip, you will be given a full refund of your registration fee.
* A payment plan is available and can only be paid in-person (1441 Bledsoe Drive) or over the phone (352-294-1040).
- Payment #1 [Due by May 6th at 5pm]: $298 to hold your spot
- Payment #2 [Due by May 13th at 5pm]: $500
- Payment #3 [Due by June 3rd at 5pm]: $500
* If not a RecSports Member, this TRiP will cost $15 more if paid in full, or $5 more per payment if using the payment plan.
If you have any questions, please contact Amber Larkin (email@example.com).