Sailing is one of Lake Wauburg's most popular activities. Hobie Cat Club Waves are available to sail.
In order to sign out a sail boat you must have a sail card and a valid Gator 1 Card.
How To Get a Sail Card
- Take a Swim Skills Check. You may take the test at Lake Wauburg, the Florida Pool or the Stephen C. O'Connell Center Pool. You must tell a lifeguard that you are there for a Swim Skills Check. Please download, print and fill out the Lake Wauburg Waiver and bring with you when taking the Swim Skills Check. The test consists of a 100 yard nonstop swim with no time limit followed by three minutes of treading water. Then, you must bring the signed waiver to Lake Wauburg.
- Take a short, written sailing test at Lake Wauburg.
- Tests are given out Tuesday–Friday between 12 and 4:30 p.m.
- Study guides may be checked out at Lake Wauburg or viewed on the Resources tab of this page (above).
- Take the practical test. A student employee at Lake Wauburg will show you how to rig a Hobie Cat.
- Practical tests are available Tuesday–Friday between 12 and 4:30 p.m. Tests are not administered Saturday or Sunday.
- Sail cards will be issued for each type of sail boat individually after the practical test is completed. Practical tests are given on Hobie Cat vessels.
|Lake Wauburg North Shore||12:00 PM – 6:00 PM|
*These hours are subject to change and always based on the availability of the Southwest Recreation Center hours of operation.
Click here for the weekly hours table.
Sailing Study Guide
Lake Wauburg Policies
- Lake Wauburg's North Park and South Shore are open to current UF Students, Faculty, Staff and Affiliates with active Gator 1 Cards.
- A Gator 1 Card holder may bring up to 4 guests.
- Guests are to arrive in a vehicle with the Gator 1 Card holder or in the next immediate vehicle.
- The Gator 1 Card holder must remain with their guests.
The following equipment is available for checkout at Lake Wauburg. See a staff member or visit the boat house for more information.
Canoes (Up to 3 Persons)
Disc Golf Discs (South Shore)
Footballs and Flags
John Boats (Up to 5 Persons)
Kayaks (1 & 2 Person)
Mountain Bikes and Helmets (South Shore)
Paddle Boards (North Park/ Swim Check Required)
Pedal Boats (Up to 4 Persons)
Sailboats (Sail Card Required) (North Park)
Ultimate Frisbees (South Shore)