Apply to the OLC CORE Grant by November 7th to be considered for an award of up to $160 to apply towards the cost of the Outdoor Leadership Course. Applications here
How to Become a TRiP Leader
Want to learn the skills to guide others in the wilderness?
Want to develop transferable leadership skills in a unique way?
Want to become a member of an incredible community of people?
Apply to the Spring 2022 Outdoor Leadership Course (OLC) by November 7th, 2021 at 11:59pm
Please apply by submitting your cover letter and resume using this link.
Make sure to include in your cover letter:
- Why is outdoor recreation important?
- What would CORE gain from having you as a TRiP Leader?
- Why do you want to be a TRiP Leader?
Upon review of your application, you may be asked to attend a group interview on the weekend of November 20th and 21st from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm at Lake Wauburg North Shore.
Learn More at OLC Information Sessions at CORE (1441 Bledsoe Drive):
- October 5th at 6 pm
- October 28th at 8 pm
- November 3rd at 7 pm
You will gain competence in interpersonal skills, judgment, decision making, and technical outdoor skills through interactive experiences in the classroom and in the field. Absolutely no outdoor experience is required. If you feel under-qualified, YOU AREN’T, but you can always attend one of our Outdoor Skills Workshops hosted every 3 weeks on Wednesdays from 6-7 pm at the CORE Building. Register for free on rsconnect.recsports.ufl.edu under the Outdoor Recreation tab.
Upon successful course completion of the OLC, you are eligible to be hired as a TRiP Leader for the Center for Outdoor Recreation and Education (CORE).
This course will meet every Tuesday from 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm at CORE.
There is an option to take this course for 3 credits with the University if you choose
COST: $480 + WFR*
*WFR- Read more below about the required Wilderness First Responder certification
APPLY FOR THE SPRING 2022 CORE OLC GRANT!
The CORE OLC Grant aims to reduce financial barriers for UF students to attend the OLC in hopes of becoming a TRiP Leader. CORE awards approximately 2 $160 grants to students who are chosen to take part in the OLC each Spring semester.
CORE GRANT GUIDELINES
Apply for the CORE Grant!: Students must submit an application in order to be considered for a grant.
- Applications open on this web page on September 10th at noon and close November 7th at noon.
- Must be a current UF student
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Must demonstrate financial need for the grant
Successful grant recipients are awarded $160.
- The $160 can be used towards the registration fee of the OLC
- The registration price of the OLC exceeds $160, so the student will be responsible for paying any remaining balance.
- CORE Grants awarded for the Outdoor Leadership Course can only be awarded to students accepted into the course.
Contact the Assistant Director for Outdoor Recreation, Braja Smith, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Course Cost Includes:
- In-person class time every Tuesday from 3-6 pm at CORE
- Florida Leadership Outdoor Recreation Association Conference (FLORA)
- Specific Date and Location TBD but likely a weekend in early February
- Experiential Training Trips:
- Backpacking Training: January 22nd-23rd, 2022
- Mountain Bike or Sea Kayak Training: February 26th, 2022
- Stand Up Paddleboard and Canoe Training: March 20th, 2022
- Surf Training: April 2nd, 2022
- Week-long Backpacking Training (iMMERSiON): May 1st-6th
- Epi Pen Administrator Certification: Date TBD (Duration: Around 3 hours)
- You are required to attend monthly TRiP meetings on Wednesdays from 8-9p at CORE.
- You are required to attend all trainings and certifications listed above in order to enroll in the course.
Course Cost Does NOT Include:
Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification course fees. This certification must be obtained outside of the OLC by the beginning of Fall 2022 to be eligible to apply for a TRiP Leader position with CORE.
CORE will offer a WFR at a discounted rate of approximately $550, during Spring Break 2022.
You must be available for the entire week of Mar 5th-Mar 13th if you choose this option
Want to stay up to date on the OLC? Follow us on Instagram at @coreuf or search “How to Become a UF Trip Leader” to get to the website below:
- Call: (352) 294-1044
- Visit: 1441 Bledsoe Drive
- Please apply by submitting your cover letter and resume using this link.