Outdoor Gear Rental
CORE has opened for outdoor gear rental! Please visit: recsports.ufl.edu/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-gear-rental/ to learn more about our service and view a map with cool places to visit near Gainesville.
Outdoor Skills Workshop Series
We’ll be running workshops again in the Fall Semester! Please check back later to learn more.
We support all Gators across the world and hope to see you in person soon. In the meantime, the team at Outdoor Recreation will be updating their Instagram with online opportunities and engagement that promote safe outdoor recreation. Here’s some links to get you started.
Before you go outside, be sure to review the most current guidelines in your area. Remember to avoid large groups, wear a face covering when you can not maintain 6 feet of distance, wash your hands frequently, and stay at home if you’re sick. See below for additional information and resources.
- AllTrails has information on trails around the world, including local trails https://www.alltrails.com
- Check out the Florida Trail Association for information on how to recreate safely: https://www.floridatrail.org/
- Florida State Parks are open, but with some restrictions! Check out their webpage for more information!
https://www.floridastateparks.org/ Instagram: @fl.stateparks
- The City of Gainesville has information on local parks: Mygnv.org
Do some Virtual Hiking!
- The National Park Service is offering virtual tours (photos and other media) of popular attractions on its website: https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photosmultimedia/virtualtours.htm
- Venture into one of the southwest’s greatest caves at Carlsbad Caverns National Park https://artsandculture.withgoogle.com/en-us/national-parks-service/carlsbad-caverns/natural-entrance-tour
Get crafty with outdoor gear!
- Learn to sew and do other repair techniques with Patagonia! https://www.ifixit.com/Patagonia
- Check out REI’s tutorials on repairing all sorts of outdoor gear from tents to wetsuits. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7tqTAgUK4UzmxoiyVJ4_1cEfzPGG-tbM
Want to do some reading, take a few webinars, or brush up on outdoor education?
- Outside Magazine has lots of current articles addressing the impact of coronavirus on outdoor recreation and education. https://www.outsideonline.com/
- The AEE has in-depth webinars on risk management, therapeutic adventure, and other deep dives into topics. They’ve made all their content free! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yph-OBpdZWo
- American Trails also has upcoming webinars on trails and greenways, some of which are free: https://www.americantrails.org/training/webinarArchive