American Red Cross Lifeguarding
Description: The American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is designed to teach skills and knowledge to prevent, recognize, and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services take over. This class includes, Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR/AED. Certification is current for 2 years.
*Candidates MUST pass a prerequisite swimming skill evaluation.
*Participants MUST attend all class dates & complete required online training (approx. 7 hours).
Prerequisite Swimming Skills Evaluation
- 300-yard continuous swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both
- Tread water using legs only for 2 minutes without support or stopping
- Within 1 minute and 40 seconds, swim 20 yards, surface dive to 7 - 10 feet and retrieve a 10lb brick. Return to surface and swim back to starting point with both hands holding brick and keeping face at the surface. Exit the water without using ladder or steps.
Spring 2018 Course Offerings:
- Session A; February 12th - 25th:
- Monday Feb. 12th: 5-6 pm (prerequestie swim skills evaluation)
- Friday Feb. 16th & 23rd: 5-8 pm
- Saturday Feb. 17th & 24th: 9 am - 2 pm
- Sunday Feb. 18th & 25th: 9 am - 2 pm
- Session B; April 2nd - 15th:
- Monday April 2nd: 5-6 pm (prerequestie swim skills evaluation)
- Friday April 6th & 13th: 5-8 pm
- Saturday April 7th & 14th: 9 am - 2 pm
- Sunday April 8th & 15th: 9 am - 2 pm
Summer 2018 Course Offerings:
- Session A; May 14th - 27th:
- Monday May 14th: 5-6 pm (prerequestie swim skills evaluation)
- Friday May 18th & 25th: 5-8 pm
- Saturday May 19th & 26th: 9 am - 2 pm
- Sunday May 20th & 27th: 9 am - 2 pm
Registration opens approx. 2 months prior to the first day of class.
Registration closes the Friday prior to the first day of class at 12 pm.
For additional information, contact Jessica Dehn at 352-273-2415 or JessicaDe@recsports.ufl.edu.
For information about the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Recertification course, click here.
Course Price: $175
RecSports Employee Discounted Price: $130
Register with RSconnect