Become a TRiP Leader for UF – No experience required!
- Learn to become a wilderness guide
- Develop transferable leadership skills
- Become a member of an incredible community of people
Applications will open in Fall 2024. Want to learn more? Fill out this interest form!
OUTDOOR LEADERSHIP COURSE INFORMATION
Pricing information is for Spring 2024. Prices subject to change.
Outdoor Leadership Course $590
Wilderness First Response (WFR) $575 (Required to become a Trip Leader)
Course Cost Includes:
- 3-Hour Weekly Class
- Experiential Training Trips
- Backpacking Training
- Mountain Bike Training
- Stand Up Paddleboard and Canoe Training
- Sea Kayak Training
- Surf Training
- Week-long Backpacking Training (iMMERSiON) (May 5 – 10, 2024)
- Transportation from CORE to activity location, group and personal gear, all food on overnight trips
- Epi Pen Administrator Certification
- You are required to attend monthly TRiP meetings.
- You are required to attend all trainings and certifications listed above in order to enroll in the course.
- You must have a United States driver’s license, three years of driving history by August 2023, and no major moving violations.
Wilderness First Responder – $575
Eight-day emergency medical response training for backcountry situations. Typically held over Spring Break.
OLC CORE Grant
The OLC CORE Grant provides up to $500 to use for the OLC. Students with financial need may apply in Fall 2023. You must be accepted into the OLC to receive the grant.
- Bright Futures AND Florida Prepaid: If you have both scholarships and take the class for credit, then you will get reimbursed like you would for other classes. You can then use the reimbursement money to pay for either the Course Cost or the cost of WFR.
- Bright Futures OR Florida Prepaid: If you have one or the other and take the class for credit, the scholarships will just cover the cost of the credit hours, not the Course Cost or the cost of WFR.
- CLAS Students: Can apply for the Beyond120 experiential scholarship using this link. This can be used to defray or cover the cost of WFR.
- CALS Students: Can apply for the VP Promise Financial Assistance next Spring after being accepted into the OLC using this link. This can be used to defray or cover the cost of WFR.
- Honors Program Students: Can apply for the Wentworth Travel Scholarship next Spring after being accepted into the OLC if they are in good standing. This can be used to cover the cost of WFR.
- Current Recsports Employees: Can apply for the Jim Bryan Grant next Spring after being accepted into the OLC. This can be used to defray or cover the cost of WFR. You will not be hired on as a TRiP Leader until you successfully complete the OLC, so you must already have a job within Recsports to apply for this grant.
Follow us on Instagram at @coreuf. Any questions? Reach out directly to Sarah Mellinger, Education Program Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.