Become a TRiP Leader for UF
- Want to learn the skills to guide others in the wilderness?
- Want to develop transferable leadership skills in a unique way?
- Want to become a member of an incredible community of people?
Apply now to take the Spring 2023 Outdoor Leadership Course, a prerequisite to becoming a TRiP Leader for UF! Applications for the Outdoor Leadership Course are now open! No experience is necessary to take the course – if you are motivated, love the outdoors, and want to help take people outside, apply here.
Applications close October 9th, 2022, but we recommend submitting earlier!
OUTDOOR LEADERSHIP COURSE INFORMATION
COST: $530 + Separate Payment for Wilderness First Response (WFR) $575*
Course Cost Covers:
- 3-Hour Weekly Class
- Experiential Training Trips
- Backpacking Training (Overnight) (January TBD)
- Mountain Bike Training (3/4)
- Stand Up Paddleboard and Canoe Training (3/25)
- Sea Kayak Training (4/8)
- Surf Training (4/22)
- Week-long Backpacking Training (iMMERSiON) (5/7-5/12)
- Transportation from CORE to activity location, group and personal gear, all food on overnight trips
- Epi Pen Administrator Certification
- You are required to attend monthly TRiP meetings.
- You are required to attend all trainings and certifications listed above in order to enroll in the course.
- You must have a United States driver’s license, three years of driving history by August 2023, and no major moving violations.
Wilderness First Response – $575
Eight-day course provides medical training to respond to emergencies in the wilderness.
- March 11-18th
Financial Assistance for the OLC/WFR:
OLC CORE Grant: The OLC CORE Grant provides an award of $240 to apply to the cost of the CORE Grant for students that demonstrate financial need. Applications are now open! Apply by October 23rd to be considered for funding.
- Bright Futures AND Florida Prepaid: If you have both scholarships and take the class for credit, then you will get reimbursed like you would for other classes. You can then use the reimbursement money to pay for either the Course Cost or the cost of WFR.
- Bright Futures OR Florida Prepaid: If you have one or the other and take the class for credit, the scholarships will just cover the cost of the credit hours, not the Course Cost or the cost of WFR.
- CLAS Students: Can apply for the Beyond120 experiential scholarship using this link. This can be used to defray or cover the cost of WFR.
- CALS Students: Can apply for the VP Promise Financial Assistance next Spring after being accepted into the OLC using this link. This can be used to defray or cover the cost of WFR.
- Honors Program Students: Can apply for the Wentworth Travel Scholarship next Spring after being accepted into the OLC if they are in good standing. This can be used to cover the cost of WFR.
- Current Recsports Employees: Can apply for the Jim Bryan Grant next Spring after being accepted into the OLC. This can be used to defray or cover the cost of WFR. You will not be hired on as a TRiP Leader until you successfully complete the OLC, so you must already have a job within Recsports to apply for this grant.
Learn More at OLC Information Sessions (at CORE (1441 Bledsoe Drive):
- September 28th at 6 pm
- October 4th at 8 pm
- October 6th at 7 pm
Want to stay up to date on the OLC?
Follow us on Instagram at @coreuf. Any questions? Reach out directly to Trevor Wentworth, Education Program Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.