Hello, thank you for visiting UF RecSports Lifeguard Certification page! At this time, all RecSports Lifeguard Certification courses are on hold. We will update this page with more information about future scheduling for the Summer and Fall semesters.
The American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is designed to teach skills and knowledge to prevent, recognize, and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services take over. This class includes, Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR/AED. Certification is current for 2 years. Candidates MUST pass a prerequisite swimming skill evaluation, attend all class dates & complete required online training (approx. 7 hours).
Prerequisite Swimming Skills Evaluation
- 300-yard continuous swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both
- Tread water using legs only for 2 minutes without support or stopping
- Within 1 minute and 40 seconds, swim 20 yards, surface dive to 7 – 10 feet and retrieve a 10lb brick. Return to surface and swim back to starting point with both hands holding brick and keeping face at the surface. Exit the water without using ladder or steps.
Spring Course Offerings:
- Monday, March 9th 5:00-6:00pm (Swim test)
- Friday, March 13th 5:00 -6:00pm
- Saturday, March 14th 9:00am-3:00pm
- Sunday, March 15th 9:00am-3:00pm
- Friday, March 20th 5:00 – 9:00pm
- Saturday, March 21st 9:00am-3:00pm
Session 2 – No longer offering
- Monday, March 30th 5 pm – 6 pm (Swim test)
- Friday, April 3rd 4:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Saturday, April 4th 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Sunday, April 5th 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
For additional information, contact Jill Faull at email@example.com.
For information about the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Recertification course, click here.
- RecSports Member: $195
- RecSports Employee: $165
- Non-Member: $215